Take a break from bread. Pick a Pita Pocket Pete instead. You can make homemade pita here.
There are two ways of stuffing your pockets full of pita goodness. You can either premix all of the ingredients and spread that in with a spoon, or you can stuff the ingredients in one at a time.
First, you need a good spread or dressing. One delicious option is to include a homemade hummus spread. Mmmm... hummus is yummus. And I've given you recipes before for Pish Posh Aioli and Pish Posh Vinaigrette, but now let's talk a little Greek Cheese. Feta (which is mostly sheep's cheese, don't think about it, just eat it) goes oh so well with Vinaigrette in salads. But for my pita pockets, I like to use the creamier, moister goat's cheese (if you're not down with trying something new, you can just use cream cheese) I generously spread this inside the pocket.
- Red onions - minced
- Cucumbers - diced
- Tomatoes - diced
- Pine nuts - lightly toasted
- Bean sprouts - not everyone likes alfalfa as much as me.
Other options include:
- Romaine lettuce, black olives, tomatoes - plain - for the person who orders a Taco Salad at a Mexican restaurant
- Mushrooms, black olives, tomatoes, red onions - medium - for a slightly different taste
- Red peppers, green or kalamata olives, toasted pine nuts, red onions, cucumbers - yummy - for the more Mediterranean
Here are some meat-pockets I make, and I usually lightly heat, roast, or grill the pocket too.
Hot meat sandwiches (get your mind out of the gutter):
- Saute garlic and onions. Add strips of lamb or beef (pre-marinated is even better) and cook until just barely tender. Add chopped tomatoes, lemon juice, parsley, cayenne pepper (pinch), salt (pinches), red-wine vinegar (splash) and let the juices seep into the meat. Simmer about 15 minutes. Add lightly toasted pine nuts, and voila. If you'd like a little more sauce, add lemon juice and Greek-style yogurt.
- Curried Chicken/beef (sear meat in a sauce of curry, cayenne, cumin, yogurt, lemon, mayo)
- Carne-Asada (You'll have to wait. I make freaking delicious carne-asada. Really).
- Philly cheese steak (Grilled Beef, Onions, Peppers, Cheese)
- Chicken Caesar (Romaine, Parmesan, Caesar, Grilled Chicken, Bacon)
- Tuna (add some pickle, celery, or cucumber for crunch)
- Enjoy! :)