This mixture is good to add to lightly cooked jasmine rice or flat-bread, or is fun to eat on its own as a healthy snack full of protein and flavor.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon mustard seed (optional)
- 1-2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 2 teaspoons ginger root
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (15 ounce) cans garbanzo beans
- 1/2 cup feta cheese (optional)
- Lightly saute onions and garlic in olive oil. Add mustard seeds (optional).
- Stir in garbanzo beans and their liquid. Toss beans in the oil over the heat for a minute.
- Add ginger, cinnamon, cumin, coriander, curry salt, cayenne. Cook for 2 minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly.
- Continue to cook and stir until all ingredients are well blended and heated through and beans are lightly browned.
- In a separate small saute pan, lightly toast pine nuts and add them to this dish at the very end.
- Add chopped tomatoes and let this simmer until the juices have mixed with the curry (if you wanted you could add 1 cup chopped squash here)
- Turn off heat and add feta cheese (optional), lightly tossing the mixture together.